This week the team are talking 'phablets' - those odd hybrid devices that exist between phones and tablets. We never really believed they were a good thing and we certainly never believed they'd sell well but they are and they have... and we are slowly (grudgingly) coming 'round to the idea.
'Things of the week':
- MacLeod: Complains about iPhone batter woes again but can't stand super-fat battery cases like Mophie's preferring their portable batteries.
- Blandford: Is loving wireless charging, buying cases and charging plates for all his devices.
- Smith: Is delighted that QRpedia is being transferred to the Wikimedia Foundation because it's one (only one, though) good use for QR codes.
This week we talk phablets:
- Rafe brings in the new Nokia 1520 and the older HTC One Max to show the listeners.
- We all love the 1520's screen and the camera impresses too.
- Ewan appreciates the larger battery of phablet devices we also note the benefits of making the user interface larger.
- Rafe reports that phablet sales are strong and improving.
- We wonder if you can use a phablet as a phone - do you want to hold it to your head?
- This week we've only time for one, but it's excellent and wins the first of our 4 HTC One's (provided by O2). Minn tweeted to alert us to his excellent 'Custom Photo Frame Display From Multiple Android Tablets' project. We loved the idea and the way he'd documented his learning process. Read the whole story on his blog post and check-out his video. A worthy first ever winner.
This episode is sponsored by O2. Check-out O2 Refresh - the tariff which lets you get the latest phone whenever you want.